About Our School
Welcome to Thomas Russell Junior School.
At our school we aim to provide the best possible education for every child in a friendly and caring environment. We take great pleasure in forming strong relationships with parents and the wider community. We want each and every child to discover and achieve their potential, both academically and personally; to be stimulated and challenged; to take responsibility and most of all enjoy their time here.
In June 2014, Ofsted said:
- "It is a school transformed from the ordinary. Under much improved leadership and management, it shows a lot of potential for further improvement"
- "Relentless drive to improve teaching is working"
- "Expectation of excellence rather than adequacy"
Choosing the right school for your child is one of the most important decisions any parent will face. I hope this website will tell you all you need to know about Thomas Russell Junior School, to help you make that decision and to give you a feel of what makes our school a happy and successful place.
In March 2018, Ofsted said:
- "Teachers and teaching assistants have high expectations of all pupils and use their strong subject knowledge to set tasks that are very well matched to pupils' needs and abilities."
- "Attainment for pupils in Year 6 in reading, writing, mathematics and science is now well above the national average."
- "Pupils' behaviour is exemplary. Classrooms are calm, well-managed places, but there is a constant buzz of activity as pupils engage enthusiastically in their learning."
- "Pupil welfare and well-being are at the heart of the school's work"
- "Subject leaders show passion and deep interest in their areas of responsibility."
- "Governors are highly ambitious for the school and are actively involved in a range of monitoring activities, including learning walks, regular meetings with subject leaders, and analysis of school assessment information."
Mrs Shelley Sharpe